Monday, October 20, 2008

poor little guy

So some of you may already know about Elijah's little accident, but for those of you who don't... Elijah got some teeth knocked out the other day at the mall.

As usual he was wondering around and running away from us at each available moment... and the kid is fast. He had run down the aisle at Dillards and I called for him to come back. Well he started back toward us in a run and I turned to talk to Liz. A moment later, I heard a thud and cries. We didn't see it, but we imagine he started running toward us while looking in an entirely different direction and veered off enough to T-bone into this display table which was just at the right height of his lower teeth. He started whaling instantly and I knew it had to be bad so we ran over there to see a bloody mouth. I cleared the blood and I could only find one of the two teeth that were out of the socket. I couldn't find it anywhere, so we left quickly and went to my school where a pedodontist was able to evaluate him. Unfortunately there isn't anything to do when primary (baby) teeth are traumatically removed from their normal position like this, so our poor little guy will be without 2 lower incisors for 4 years until the permanents come in! I still feel sick about it. This happened around 3pm and he was running around by 7pm like nothing ever happened. The accident reminded Liz and I of how special this little guy is to us. Not that we needed to be reminded, but we give him extra hugs, kisses and attention now.

The next day he says to me... "Daddy, I bonked my teeff". Poor kid!



Sorry, I forgot that I can't rotate video like I can pictures... so just turn your head a little bit. Elijah loves to jump off stuff. You can see his new jack-o-lantern smile right at the end.

He didn't cut his lip, but his gum tissue is torn a little bit where the teeth broke out the front part of the bone.

8 comments:

Meagan said...

Aw poor kid! :(

Mike & Stephanie Wright said...

Oh poor little Eli! I bet your stomach just dropped when that happened! Oli is darling! and Noah is getting soooo big, crazy! I hope that school is going well for you Steve. Liz I miss you so much! Maybe one of these days we will cross paths again. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Eli's run in with a display case. Even though you are in dentistry and know that all will be well eventually, you can't help but be totally upset by this. My dentist told me that it wasn't reasonable to expect a lively, active boy to stay perfect. I told him that I had brought that boy into the world perfect and call me unreasonable, but I expected him to stay that way. He is totally fine now and he is fine with veneers on #8 and 9. Parents just want our children to grow up without any bumps or bruises. They grow up anyway, in spite of all the bumps and bruises. All of your boy are so darling. They have amazing parents.

amberbuck said...

Holy moly! I can't believe that happened to the poor little fella, good thing he is still so stinkin cute! Good thing it wasn't his 2 front teeth! I'm shocked it hasn't happened to Lucas, his teeth are all chiped due to run-ins with the tile in our kitchen. Boys will be boys!

lisa said...

I am so sorry about Eli! So sad! I hope all is going well with your little one! Miss you guys!

Wolfingtons said...

Wow! Maybe he'll be more careful now. Probably not he is a boy.

Chad and Laura said...

Liz- So glad you commented! Your little Eli reminds me of Tate. All boy and a million miles an hour. You look so amazing while preg. I also love your hair color. You were always one that could pull off all the different styles and colors. I am so glad to see you guys are doing so well. I have not golfed in over 6 years. Sad huh. I keep telling Chad I want to go so maybe now that the weather permits we will. Yes, I did hear about Turley. Crazy but was not shocked :) I miss your amazing massages. Are you still doing them at all? Your family is perfect and congrats on the adorable new one.
Laura

vickersfam said...

wow, that stinks! I'm glad he was all smiles so soon after the incident, though!